VeeamON is always a great opportunity to learn more about backup and data recovery, data protection, and new Veeam features. And VeeamON 2023 in Miami was no exception. The event was filled with information, education, and insights, and although there was too much to include in one blog, the Virtual Systems team agreed that these three things were some of the most important takeaways to share with you.
1. Ransomware is on the rise.
VeeamON included a presentation on Veeam’s 2023 Ransomware Trends report. The research, based on a survey of approximately 3,000 cyberattacks, found that 85 percent of organizations were the victims of at least one cyberattack in the past year. That’s a 9 percent increase over data for the 2022 report.
With ransomware attacks becoming more frequent, businesses need a way to protect themselves. However, the survey found that it may be getting more difficult. For 21 percent of organizations, ransomware was now specifically excluded from their insurance policies, while 74 percent paid higher premiums, 43 saw increased deductibles, and 10 percent had their coverage benefits reduced.
The study also found that 80 percent of victims paid the ransom when victimized by ransomware. But about one-quarter of them could still not recover their data.
Research for the report found that most businesses and organizations have developed incident response playbooks to prepare for the eventuality that ransomware will strike. Furthermore, the most common elements of those playbooks are ensuring clean backup copies, backing up at the right frequency, and backup verification. Businesses are beginning to see the value in immutable, aka unchangeable, backups that make it easier to recover from a ransomware attack – without paying a ransom. The top methods of creating immutable backups are leveraging cloud storage, choosing a cloud service like Backup as a Service (BaaS) or Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS), or using on-premises storage with immutability or locking.
Although clean, verified backup is trending in the right direction, it’s a message that still needs to reach more people so fewer will find themselves in catastrophic circumstances.
2. The name’s now Veeam Data Platform.
Another topic at VeeamON was Veeam’s recent name changes. Products in Veeam’s suite are now offered within different versions of the Veeam Data Platform. When you work with Virtual Systems, you can find the edition that’s right for you, whether the “Foundation Edition” that was formerly Veeam Backup & Replication or the “Premium Edition,” which includes VBR, Veeam ONE proactive monitoring and analytics and Veeam Recovery Orchestrator.
Veeam Data Platform meets three objectives for your business:
- Data security: Veeam Data Platform gives you enterprise-grade immutability options, including object and block and file storage, hardened repositories, cloud object storage, and tape.
- Data recovery: With Veeam Data Platform, you have the assurance you can restore data. It allows you to verify backups, and it includes automation and orchestration of workloads. Veeam Data Platform also gives you options that will enable you to meet your recovery point objectives (RPOs) and recovery time objectives (RTOs), even if your tolerance for data loss is less than a minute.
- Data freedom: You also gain the ability to protect data wherever you use it, including in the cloud or hybrid environments. You can back up AWS or Azure workloads and orchestrate data recovery to Azure. You can also take advantage of Veeam’s unified cloud monitoring and reporting
3. Veeam is #1 in global market share for data protection software.
Veeam is now the leading solution for data protection, backup, and data recovery. It’s also the top data protection and recovery solution according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Semiannual Software Tracker, April 2023.
This news from VeeamON solidifies why Virtual Systems partners with Veeam to offer solutions to our market. As a Veeam Platinum Partner, we provide our clients with the expertise to help you get the most value from Veeam products and ensure your data is always protected and available.
We’d love to share more of the information we collected at VeeamON and talk to you about data protection for your organization. To start the conversation, contact us.