When it comes to customer-facing IT systems, the baseline for hosting solutions is often a traditional server. While dedicated hardware might be great for supporting massive enterprises, it comes with a commensurate payment plan. While there are a few solutions for better scalability of both size and price, many organizations are turning to Virtual Private Servers (VPS) to provide the best customer experience.
At the intersection of cost-effectiveness, high security, and resiliency, VPS solutions are quickly growing amongst forward-thinking business owners. Let’s talk about what makes them so great for businesses today.
The Benefits of Virtual Private Servers
In comparison to shared, traditional, and cloud hosting options, VPS delivers the best of each. Of course, there’s usually a tradeoff between unitaskers, which do one thing really well, and multitaskers that do lots of things sufficiently. So, a VPS might not be the right solution for everyone, but it is a very good solution for a wide array of businesses.
Here are some ways a VPS stands out:
- Cost-Efficiency: The cheapest option is shared hosting, but for systems with any complexity or security needs, VPS is the most cost-efficient solution. It’s less expensive than traditional hosting, since you only pay for the server space that you need, and VPS can easily scale with your business as it grows.
- Flexibility: Like traditional hosting, VPS offers root access and full customization. Many VPS hosts provide fully managed VPS environments as well as unmanaged or self-managed, so you can choose your level of involvement.
- Security: VPS environments act like traditional servers in that they are completely isolated from each other, prioritizing security, and enabling compliance for many regulations, including PCI, HIPAA, ITAR, SOC 2, and more. With shared hosting, another client’s vulnerability may put your business at risk.
- Resiliency: Virtual servers simplify redundancy, a good host will provide frequent backups and disaster recovery services, with robust plans in place to prevent data loss and downtime.
- Speed: Dedicated bandwidth upholds lightning-fast speeds, so you never have to worry about losing potential customers due to slow load times.
For large businesses with massive databases or hundreds of remote employees, a traditional server may be the best choice. A VPS provides nearly all the benefits of traditional servers, on a slightly smaller scale, with greater cost savings and additional options for flexibility and resiliency.
As the need for supporting remote work is changing how businesses operate, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) is gaining popularity over traditional servers and VPNs. Speed and security are big considerations in choosing the best method for accessibility.
What To Look For in VPS Hosting
As you might expect, not all VPS hosts are created equal. So, how do you find the one that works best for you and your company? Depending on your needs, you should look at factors such as:
- Customization. If having a cloud environment that’s customized to fit your company’s unique needs is important to you, make sure to ask if the VPS provider offers customization options. At Virtual Systems, we work with you to find a solution that makes sense for your business, instead of having the one-size-fits-all kind of mindset that you might find elsewhere.
- Security and compliance. Along with customization options, another important factor is knowing that the VPS is secure, and your data protected. Something that helps facilitate this is having an IT partner who can either work with your existing security solution or layer in another option for you. We happen to know a thing or two about this because we’re highly experienced in both approaches. And our clients trust us for compliance with HIPAA, PCI, ITAR, SOC2, and other important regulations.
- Tech stack. To provide the customization and security you deserve for your VPS, a provider needs to have the right technology in place. We say that a recipe is only as good as its ingredients, which is why our “ingredients” include premium tech from Veeam, VMware, Palo Alto, and Sophos. This is certainly worth taking into account when evaluating your hosting options.
- Support. No matter if you are migrating to the cloud for the first time or you’re a seasoned pro, there are going to be times when you need assistance or advice from technical experts. For this reason, a host with a support staff that is easily accessible should be one of your considerations.
- Management capabilities. Some clients prefer to maintain full control over the infrastructure so they can scale, monitor, patch, and update themselves. Others want to focus on other things and prefer a “set it and forget it” mode. If you want the flexibility to decide which cloud solution makes more sense for your company, we’ve got you covered either way.
- Value. As you try to determine which provider is right for your company, it’s worth considering what you receive in exchange for the cost. And because we know how important this factor is for you, we prioritize cost-efficiency to ensure you always receive optimal value when you partner with Virtual Systems.
- Reliability. When you trust your business data to a third party, you need to have absolute confidence in their ability to maintain uptime and confidentiality. This is not the time to experiment – you’ll want to choose an established brand with a proven track record and world-class customer service.
No matter which companies you are considering for your virtual private server, it’s important to compare how they measure in these respective categories if you want to find the best fit for your business.
Choose Virtual Systems for Your High-Security VPS Environments
One of the best reasons to choose Virtual Systems for VPS is hosting is our experience with enhanced security and compliance. We use Palo Alto & Sophos for deep security and threat protection, including real-time detection and reporting of malicious attacks. Virtual Systems hosting is your complete security solution, with anti-malware filtering, behavioral analysis, predictive machine learning, firewall, integrity monitoring, and log inspection.
Our deployment flexibility can deliver your entire IT stack in one simple solution or build your system with only the security and compliance that fits your company’s particular needs. If you have extensive compliance requirements, including HIPAA, PCI, SOC 2, NIST, ITAR, CCPA, GDPR, and more, you’ll want to choose a VPS provider who can show you their compliance strategy, like we can.
The pivot to a work-from-anywhere environment has created rapidly evolving needs for business security and compliance, and our workspace solutions can flex to scale with your business and budget.
More Questions? Virtual Systems Has Answers!
If you have more questions about VPS, or if you’re not sure VPS hosting is even right for your business, please reach out and let us help. Our team of experts can get into the details with you and find the best solution for your organization.
For more information, please fill out our short contact form and we’ll get started on figuring out the best hosting solution for you.